Here is a summary of instructions from today’s lesson:
1) Please upload all 3 precedent studies onto the “precedent studies” parent page. The write-up should be to the point, focusing on a short description of the work followed by a quick analysis of the piece’s logic.
2) Place the avatar you are most satisfied with under your student page (no sub-pages, just edit the parent page). Write a bit about yourself, and a quick explanation of the logic used. Avatars which you have tried could be placed in a separate sub-page under your name, just one sub-page for all the avatars you tried will do, do not clutter the blog!
3) Begin investigation of the tracks you would want to pursue for the rest of this module. Since most of you are more familiar with grasshopper now, you should be able to start on some definitions. Some possible starts: A) try to reverse engineer an existing design in grasshopper. B) start experimenting on your own based on what you already know. C) try an idea in AI, origami, model making etc. and see how grasshopper can parameterise it or improve it.
4) In two weeks time (13/02) everyone would present their progress, along with 3 possible tracks for more in depth exploration. Each student would be given 5 minutes to present their work. You should support your presentation with experimental definitions / sketches / diagrammes. From here we would decide which track is more viable for further development.
5) I will upload some of my personal explorations onto the ‘lecturer’ page, for you guys to refer to, and hack. So do look at it occasionally.
Wow, thats all.
Class would start at 0930 this Wednesday in the DDS. Please make sure your avatar and precedents studies have been uploaded by then. If you need help before the lesson, I would be stationed in the DDS.
This is the precedent studies tracking sheet. It has been meticulously crafted for 3 studies per student. if you intend to submit more, please carefully edit the structure. Be considerate!
This is to facilitate tracking of precedent studies so as not to have overlapping works. Let the games begin!
UPDATE: The sharing settings have been updated, you can edit now!
For the precedent studies, please follow these following steps:
1) One precedent study project per page. Place the page under the precedent study parent page.
2) The title of the page is [name of work] – [artist/designer’s name].
3) Put pictures, images, or diagrammes through adding media to the page.
4) Talk about the algorithm or logic behind the piece, the material, medium or fabrication.
5) End it with “reported by – [your name]”.
So we would end up with a whole list of precedent studies under the precedent studies parent page! An example has been done already for reference (the fibonacci lamp example).
Hope the first round of exercises are keeping you occupied. Anyway here’s an exhibition that is really relevant. Go check it out.
Hey guys I’m the new Teaching Assistant.
Welcome to the course community! You guys will be active here with your wordpress accounts. If you didn’t have one, you’ve probably already made one… So I guess. You’ll be posting stuff up here and the teaching staff will (try) to be active in responding.
Please read the posting instructions! We will try to add your student page ASA you accept the wordpress invitation.